Friday, December 30, 2011

New Williams Antique Sewing Machine

These are the photos that were on the add.




The cabinet is very unusual - especially for a treadle sewing machine.

I've had a lot of fun the last year or so repairing and using old sewing machines, but never have I had a chance to play (um, I mean work) with one this old before. This machine dates from the 1880'ish. The patent is 1884, so we know it was made on or after that date.

Considering these guys were some strong competition for Singer Sewing Machines back in the day, there is surprisingly little information about them on-line. So I plan to post my adventures here. Maybe it will be helpful for the next lucky person who comes across one of these machines.

If anyone else has a machine like this, please leave a note. I would love to hear about your experiences.

6 comments:

Josiane said...

Another antique sewing machine has found its way to your loving home - yay! I have a feeling they all dream of ending under your care... :)

Happy New Year, my dear!

tom said...

i have the exact machine, but i haven't been able to find out any information about it. do you have any more information or a site that can be accessed to get information, do you have any idea of it value

tom said...

i have the exact machine, but can't find any information about it, do you have any ideas on possible sites or the vlaue of the machine

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to say that by the end of this week I will be the proud owner of a New Williams treadle sewing machine! The woman I am buying it from says it still works too!

Anonymous said...

I have this exact sewing machine but not in the same cabinet...mine is a 5 drawer cabinet meaning 2 on each side & one in the center to hold the bobbins & such. My machine still works although it needs a new belt.

Unknown said...

I have one my moms mom mom mom had I'm 69 now and have dragged it around all my moves. Time to move it out! No idea of price...its a fixer upper. Solid cabinet, all together plus needles,patches and sewing stuff...