Saturday, December 04, 2021

A little bird told me... sewing with a sewing bird (and how to make your own mocking sewing bird)

It is entirely possible I made this entire video so I could reference 3 seconds of a Dr Who episode.

I've been wanting a sewing bird since long before I knew how to sew.  I'm frugal with my spending and antiques are far too expensive.  The brass reproductions are pricy enough.  But I put a price watch (camelcamelcamel.com is great for this) on my dream bird with the expectation it would never drop that low.  But it did.

The sewing bird is designed to solve a major problem with hand stitching - back and hand pain.  It is supposed to give more control of the needle and fabric.  And having tools that inspire makes it easier to avoid procrastination.

Before I spent money on it, I decided to try an experiment.  Could I make a tool that would do the job with random things found around the house?

SPOILER: Yes.  Yes, I can.

So here you go.  My adventures hand stitching, making a mocking bird, and finding out if a reproduction Sewing bird really works.



I hope you enjoy it.  

There are a lot of things I could do better, I know.  But this video marks yet another big step towards making the videos I want to make for you.  There is a lot more focus on storytelling as well as - what I hope is - informative and useful information.  


If you like this sort of thing and want to see more of it, here are some things you can do to support me on my creative journey.

- go to youtube and give me a thumbs up!  Or even a subscribe!  That would be awesome
- or pop over to my Etsy shop and support me that way.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

Excellent video. I think one of the keys to a good video is The Script, which a lot of people don't seem to get. I think you're doing really well with that, and the subtle touches of humor are wonderful. After The Script, visuals are of next importance (to me). Yours are well planned and we can see what's going on. That's so important in a video like this. Between the words and the images, I'm getting it. All I can say is, keep up the good work.

Josiane said...

That was a lovely video! I'm glad you were able to find a reproduction sewing bird at a price that worked for you, and even better, that it lets you enjoy hand sewing with more ease and less pain. Thank you for sharing how you had made your mocking sewing bird, and also for sharing that you've found your new bird to be so much better – that's really good to know. I'll probably start with a homemade solution too while I keep an eye out for an affordable one.