Saturday, April 16, 2022

Bunny Substitutes - featuring Angora

13 years ago, I met one of you in a yarn shop.  It was good.  There was fibre and friend.  A delightful combination.  Like silk, angora, and merino




With that fibre, I wove my first, 100% handmade cloth (both spun and woven by me).  It was a significant moment in my life - empowering.  



This scarf started me on a path that I'm still travelling today.


Which brings us to today's video.  Another landmark on this journey.  An attempt to capture some of those feelings from that first scarf and weave them into today's life.  





Not only is it a pivot from tutorials to storytelling, but it's also my first collaboration.  A few youtube coconspirators and I decided to make videos about angora fibre in honour of Easter and Spring!  The videos will show up here as they are published.  I encourage you to check them out - there is some great info about angora from knitters, spinners, and other yarncrafters.  

Alas, the only bunnies on the farm are wild and don't hang out much with the humans this time of year, I had to make do with Bunny Substitutes.  I hope you enjoy.  



4 comments:

Josiane said...

Oh wow, 13 years already! It was very good, indeed. :) I remember that day fondly, and I'm happy to see you do too. It's wonderful that it's tied to such a significant and empowering moment for you!

That was a wonderful video, too. It was really nice to follow along as you went down memory lane and brought this all back into present time, walking that path again from where you stand now, with all the experience you've acquired since then. The did a great job with the storytelling!

Also, those bunny subsitutes are just delightful! I think I'm in love with the one that has more white out of the two mostly black ones. I'm so very tempted to inquire about its fleece when shearing time comes… See, that takes us back to the theme of first times and significant milestones, as I have yet to spin from a fleece I would have processed myself — and, just like that first woven scarf of yours, I suspect that that would feel wonderfully empowering.

Josiane said...

Oops, sorry for the typo! I meant *you* did a great job with the storytelling, of course!

TrampledbyGeese said...

I'm glad you remember. It was an important day in my life. Maybe one day we'll meet again.

Josiane said...

Oh, it's so nice to hear that it was such an important day in your life! I really had no idea how significant it had turned out to be for you. And yes, that's the kind of day I remember as if it had happened yesterday — meeting up at Solstice CafĂ©, the wonderful gift of handspun you had for me, walking through the city to this and that yarn store, ending up at KBN where I loved discovering how they had a loom and a drum carder that they made available to customers, enjoyed helping out as you made use of said drum carder to create that famous batt, and was delighted to have a taste of the homemade dried apples you had brought to have as a snack while we sat and chatted there at the end of that wonderful day. (And I'm even skipping details in order to keep this shorter!)

Maybe one day we'll meet again, yes. I hope we will; that would be wonderful!