Saturday, May 07, 2022

Knit a sweater in a day, they said! It would be easy, they said! yeh right.

 I think the title says it all really.  

This wonderful machine fell in my lap and in my hubris I thought I knew plenty of knitting and this would be easier than the two pointy sticks.

yah right.



At the end of the sweater, I am overwhelmed by how much love and respect I now have for machine knitting and machine knitters.

It really is true that it doesn't matter what tools we use.  It's what the knitter brings to the yarn that makes all the difference.  

I can't wait to find out how to use my ribber.  Any ideas?  There don't seem to be many tutorials on this that I can find.


(oh, and there is dyeing and sheep in there too because, well, sheep)

2 comments:

Leigh said...

This video is really well done. I loved the music and also that you never let it distract from the verbal track. The sheep were a wonderful touch (and so like critters. Getting out to pasture was more important than complimenting your beautiful achievement!)

Josiane said...

Wonderful video! Thank you for taking us through that sweater-making journey!
I'm always in awe of the way you go and figure out how to work with new equipment that looks pretty intimidating to me, like the knitting machine. You ended up with a sweater that may not fit perfectly, but it still keeps you warm and, most importantly, it did a great job of helping you get comfortable enough with the knitting machine that you can now envision how to make one that fits better. (It's kind of like how a writer has to get the first, imperfect draft out on paper in order to be able to create the better subsequent versions…)

Thanks for showing your dyeing process, too. That's another thing that feels intimidating to me, so I loved seeing how you didn't have to use a terribly exacting process to come out with a beautiful result. It's encouraging! It's getting me this much closer to giving it a try one day. :)