Saturday, July 23, 2022

All wool has value

It began as a compost pile and a birthday present.  

When I asked what he wanted for his Birthday, he said something like, you know that yarn you have stashed away as a treasure?  You know how you promised me a rug?  That's what I want.  


The yarn has a story.  It's spun at the (former) local fibre mill from a mixture of fibre from the farm.  Some of the animals like the rich deep black alpaca, are no longer with us.  This is sad, but also happy because the rug helps us remember the good times we had.

But it's not just any old fibre, this fibre was destined for the compost heap, to get smothered with squash plants as it slowly transforms into soil.  The fibre was too fragile, too dirty, too... whatever to spin into a sensible yarn.  But the mill had this machine that could use inferior fibre to twist around a core and make it soft and strong and valuable.  

The results are gorgeous!  

 



1 comment:

Josiane said...

Oooooh! That's gorgeous yarn, and you turned it into a wonderful rug. It has such lovely texture! It's sad that the mill is no longer there to make beautiful and useful yarn out of what would otherwise have been composted, but I'm glad you get to enjoy what you had left of it in rug form now. Thank you for sharing that story!

(I've noticed you were reading Bernadette's book, and I'm curious to know what you think of it; maybe I'll find the answer in a later post as I continue catching up…)