Saturday, September 24, 2022

Weaving a homegrown cape - #CAPEtember2022

Woot!  I made cloth!


It's yardage now and it is more beautiful than I could have expected.  The weaving took longer than I had hoped.  I think that's because I rushed through the spinning so quickly that I didn't get as consistent a yarn as I prefer.  

I'm a fairly good weaver but I do have my comfort zone and this wasn't in it.  


Because the yarn was an unknown quantity, I took a lot more care in the setup.  I wonder if it would have been less time to weave a sample, then work with the knowledge gained than to take all that extra care warping with the right tension... I'll never know.  

Mostly the what-ifs are a distraction from what comes next - sewing.  

Spinning I know well.  Weaving, I'm pretty good at.  But sewing... sewing is um... sewing isn't something I know much about and I'm feeling awkward making a video about something where I'm just making it up as I go along.  

I'm not sure what this video is going to look like, but there will be less of a straight line of "I want a thing" to "I made a thing"


But in another way, I'm glad I'm doing this because normally when I run into indecision, I put the project aside for weeks, months, or decades, then come back to it.  This CAPEtember challenge is forcing me to plough through it and live with my decisions.  

for good or for ill.  

We'll find out.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

You've been busy! Good job on the video; very well done.

Josiane said...

I'm really impressed by how you've been flowing from one step to the next and got so much done in such a short time! I need so much recovery time in between every little thing I do…
Anyway… The cloth looks wonderful, and I'm glad it surpassed your expectations. I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to catch up on the next installment!