Thursday, March 16, 2023

Petticoats and possibilities - my quest for a capsule wardrobe continues

 Layers!

Hens are great layers.  But even better are clothes layered on top of each other.  It transforms a seasonal outfit into a multi-season extravaganza!  

Winters on the farm are muddy, mucky, bloody, and occasionally snowy.  I do a lot of laundry.  

Come lambing season, I can do two or three loads of laundry a day.  

So I want farm clothes that wash well, like cotton.  Only the problem with cotton is that it's not very warm.  It actually, what's the opposite of warm?  A single layer of cotton is terrible for working outside in the winter because if the cotton gets wet, it chills the human and can cause health issues.  So we could be forgiven for thinking that if a single layer does harm, a lot would do more.  

Layering the clothes creates air gaps that allow the skin to breathe and provide insulation so I can stay outside longer to get things done.  And since I often wear skirts or dresses when working on the farm, I can take my fall and spring cotton skirts and transform them into winter skirts by adding a petticoat or two underneath.  


This matches well with my capsule wardrobe goals. 


 I don't need so many outer skirts because I can put a flannel petticoat under a fall skirt to make it a winter skirt, or a lightweight cotton petticoat under a winter skirt to make it more breathable and cool in hot weather.  This tiny antiquated bit of technology actually makes life better.  


This video wasn't planned.  I saw snow in the forecast and since we were heading next to the fabric store, so I picked up some soft cotton flannel and as usual, the cutter wanted to know what I was making.  We got to talking and apparently, finishing seams with a felling foot isn't common.  I didn't know that as the instructions on how came with the sewing machine.

The video needs something else to get the word out that it's not just about petticoats, but about this cool technique too.  Maybe change the title up a bit.  But to be frank, I'm more focused on the next video and the one after that and the 8 after that (you wouldn't believe how excited I am about August's video!  So cool!)


There have also been a lot of requests for a pdf on how to make these petticoats but I haven't figured out how to do the images yet to show how to cut it.  That's something for later.  


2 comments:

Leigh said...

This is a great idea. I haven't worn flannel petticoats in years. Thanks for the inspiration!

Josiane said...

Oh, dear, with that video you really made me want to get over myself and finally clean up that Singer 127 I have that I haven't dared touch yet! Thank you for showing how it can finish seams with the felling foot; that's brilliant. I liked how you made those two petticoats at once, too! I want to make myself some skirts and petticoats, and I've been thinking about layering them, so that's a neat idea I'll keep in mind because multiple layers really are better on cold winter days.
And now you got me excited about August's video, too — something to look forward to! It's interesting how some videos aren't really planned, as you say was the case with this one, and some others require months of advance planning… I figure it means you must have to juggle multiple videos in various states of completion pretty much at all times. Managing to keep each one cohesive is a real skill, and you do a fabulous job of it!