Sunday, October 06, 2024

A wizard and zorn watercolours

 


In many ways, I adore how this turned out.  The granulation.  The way the white pushes back his hat and cloak while the transparent watercolours in the staff make it almost glow.

What I didn't know, and is hard to see in this photo, is the paper had gone off.  The sizing (the layer that protects the paper from the water) had decayed due to poor storage prior to the book shipping to me.  You can see it most near the top of the staff where there's a white patch that didn't take the background colour and some places where it absorbed too much.  

I ended up contacting the manufacturer and got a refund for the books (yes, I bought two).  I'm still going to use these, but alas, not for the nice record keeping I was hoping for.  This is going to be another practice journal.  

No comments: