Saturday, November 13, 2021

What time is it? Time blindness and watching out for a watch.

 I've always been a bit time blind, but lately, it's gotten a lot worse.  I've been musing on what to do about that.

 Many years ago, I had a job where we had to be on time within 10 seconds of the schedule.  We had all the responsibility for making certain everything was on time and absolutely no control over the factors that caused things to be late.  That kind of disconnect is demoralizing.

Not long after leaving that job, I stopped wearing a watch.


Now that I live on the farm, wearing a watch on my wrist is a fast way to destroy a watch.  

Besides, the chickens don't care what fiction the watch tells us.  The day begins as it gets light, and ends as it darkens.  That means in the summer, my day ends at about 11pm and on Christmas Day it very seldom lasts beyond half-past two in the afternoon.  


It happened there was a doctors appointment the day after Daylight Savings ended.  And of course, the confusion;

"I thought you changed that clock."

"No, I thought you... any idea what the actual time is?"

Yep.  The same old conversation.


I've been thinking of wearing a watch again.  But a wristwatch is out.  I'm resisting getting one of those smartphones.  That leaves a fob watch (pocket watch).  


I dug out my old fobwatch which is a cheap mechanical watch in a lovely umeboshi case that never kept the time.  Now I remember I took it apart at the start of the year to find out why it was broken and if I could move noon to the 9 Oclock position.  I figured out how it was broken, but I didn't have the skills to make it unbroken... and I ended up making it much worse.

My first choice would be to fix this watch.  I really like this case, but I haven't been able to find replacement watch guts for it.  I wish the only horologist wasn't all the way downtown as I only go there once every five years to get my drivers' licence renewed.  

The second choice is to find a new mechanical (one I wind up every day as batteries only last a couple of weeks on me) watch I can love.  I haven't found one in my price range yet.  I will just have to wait until the time is right.


But there's also the issue of pockets.  

Perhaps if I add watch pockets to all of my skirts, by the time I finish, the perfect watch will appear?

To that end, I found this awesome video on historical methods of putting watch pockets on skirts!


It's given me some good ideas I want to try.

I really like the information in her videos.  The sound is a bit difficult, but the captions help. 



If you like this sort of thing and want to see more of it, here are some things you can do to support me on my creative journey.

- go to youtube and give me a thumbs up!  Or even a subscribe!  That would be awesome
- or pop over to my Etsy shop and support me that way.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

I've been thinking about time too, because I like being outside and tend to get caught up in outdoor projects. My solution was to buy an apron for outdoor use, with the idea that one pocket would be for my cell phone, except I can't manage to keep the cell phone charged. But I like the idea of a pocket watch much better. I see there are some cheap ones on amazon, but I'd probably get what I paid for. Interestingly, many of them are "battery needless."

Josiane said...

My relationship to time is also getting sketchier… I really wouldn't be able to follow any kind of strict schedule anymore! As for watches, I haven't worn one in a very long time and, like you, I have no intention of getting a cell phone. My husband used to carry a pocket watch, until it broke and we couldn't find a satisfactory replacement. It's a good thing we're self-employed and spending 98% of our time at home!