Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Button, button, who's got the button? Also WOW! that's a lot of paper!

 The duffle coat project advances.  A decision has been made and after much humming and hawing, I decided to go with the Albion Coat sewing pattern.  I chose this pattern because they gave away some great resources for free and it gave me confidence that I would be able to make a beautiful coat with their instructions.  

Because I can never be easy on myself, I am going to sew a version of the longer coat, but unlined in keeping with the duffle coat of my past.  

I've got a few other changes up my sleeve, but that's going to have to wait because this: 

The pattern part of the um, pattern, is 88 pages long.  I couldn't find out if it was designed for letter or for A4 paper, but that's okay.  I printed the test page and got the right measurements I think.  Is 4 inches supposed to be inside or outside the line of the square?  Would it make a big difference?  The line is fairly thick.  But I printed the pattern anyway.  I'll be making a mockup and adjustments.  

These 88 pages include both long and short versions, although there is the option to just print the short version.  It also includes the lining pieces.  I couldn't find any evidence of 'layers' where you can print only the size or sections of the pattern you need.  Cashmerette patterns have this feature and it's truly wonderful at saving paper.

The Albion Coat also has very large margins on the page, so I'll be cutting off over an inch from top and bottom of the page.  At 88 pages, it makes me wonder if they were more frugal with their margins (most of the time I'm cutting off half an inch) or had separate North American paper and The Rest of the World paper sizes (like other patterns I've tried), we could save some paper.

There is the option to take the pattern to the print shop and get it printed on huge paper there.  This would be better for the trees, but last time I checked it would cost more than printing it at home, buying a load of tape, and a paper cutter.  

Maybe I didn't ask at the right place or didn't ask for the right thing?  Or maybe printing in Canada is just pricy?

In other news, I found some pretty buttons at the thrift shop.  


I thought they were more black but the camera saw them as blue.  I'll have to look at them better in different lighting conditions to see if they go well with the project.  These will go on the hood flap and the cuffs and will have to match the toggles - or at least not clash with them.  

And of course, one has to get sewn inside on the left seam for a backup button.  


1 comment:

Josiane said...

I think your buttons will be perfect. You say that they look more black in person, so that's obviously a good match—and I actually like that they have a blue tinge! Given that the contrast line in your fabric is orange (or so it seems on my monitor, at least), and blue being orange's complementary colour, it feels perfect to me: a little something that subtly contrasts with the contrast. :)

As for pattern printing on large sheets, Helen's Closet Patterns has a list of options on her blog here: https://helensclosetpatterns.com/2021/10/25/sewing-pattern-printing/ (It may not be totally up-to-date, but it's still a useful starting point as a reference.) Having several patterns to print at the same time may sometimes help offset the shipping costs (and then, some of the options in the UK may become interesting, too), but yes, it's expensive…