Friday, June 09, 2023

Dressing a linen distaff - ideas for next year?

Distaffs (or distaves) are used for all sorts of different fibres.  It's basically a third hand that holds the fibre while our other hands are busy spinning it into yarn.

Distaff Day is on the 7th of January and is the most important holiday in the spinner's calendar.  Well, I say holiday, but it's actually the back-to-work day but we do it with great fun.  

This year, I dressed distaves in flax fibre for spinning linen yarn.  


Here's a free PDF guide on dressing a distaff with linen fibre.


Last year I did the same with wool


Now, how do I up my game for next year?  Anything about distaves you wanted to know?

1 comment:

Josiane said...

I enjoyed this new video about dressing a linen distaff, especially because you've shared options I had never seen mentioned before. I'm keeping them in my back pocket for when I get around to spinning the commercial flax I have on hand. I know I'll also come back to it whenever I'll have the opportunity to try other preparations. Thank you!