Tuesday, April 07, 2009

weaving woes




A friend of mine lent me a ridged heddle loom to play with. I have to start off by saying that I'm completely in love with this loom. If I were to get myself a ridged heddle loom, this would be the one for me.




Unfortunately, I've made a small error in judgement: It's the warp you see, I decided to augment it with some mohair handspun singles and, well, two inches into weaving I'm just about ready to give up on yarn all together. This is just not working. The yarn is fuzzy and stretchy and sticky and just not warp material. It looks nice, but other than that, I'm not skilled enough to weave with this.




So, the loom and I are going to spend a day apart, after which, I will come back and see if I can salvage this warp. Maybe, I can undo what I've woven so far, cut out the nasty warps and attach some nice warp in it's stead. All this without undressing the loom? Maybe? I have no idea how I'm going to do this. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Josiane said...

I'm glad you've found a loom that you both can use and love! Good luck in finding the solution that works best for you with regards to this project. I really like your weft yarn, it's so pretty!

Bronwyn said...

I think maybe if you could sley it closer the warp threads might give you the result your aiming for... I feel bad because I helped you choose the warp. I hope it works out!