Saturday, September 18, 2021

Solving a problem that really bugs me - YES you can make your own drop spindle. For FREE!

When I learned to spin, I also learned to make a drop spindle.  

It's so easy and you can make one out of just about anything.  Improvised drop spindles are everywhere.  

But as I continued my journey into spinning, I learned that most spinners never made their own drop spindle.  Worse, most would-be spinners never start spinning because they are lost looking for the "right" or "proper" equipment.

This is wrong.  

The "right" equipment is the one in your hand.  The "right" time is now.

Our ancestors made spindles out of all sorts of things - and didn't always have time to walk 8 days to the nearest spindle shop to buy a new shaft or whorl to replace a broken one.  What's more, they made enough and good enough yarn to clothe themselves and their families.  The quality of the yarn isn't in the tool - although good tools do help -  The quality of the yarn comes from the spinner.  

So I made a video to try to fix what I see as a big problem in the world.


Watch to the end to be rewarded by cute chickens.


If you like this sort of thing and want to see more of it, here are some things you can do to support me on my youtube journey.

- go to youtube and give me a thumbs up!  Or even a subscribe!  That would be awesome
- or pop over to my Etsy shop and support me that way.


1 comment:

Josiane said...

I wish I had come across something like this post and video when I got started spinning! My brain tends to overthink and overcomplicate things, so being told and shown that something simple is possible and that it works would have helped, for sure. :)