Saturday, March 12, 2022

How do wattles hold up in the garden?

 Five years ago:


The garden is growing, but the soil needs improving.  It just gobbles up water and when we can go months between rainfall... well, here's the rain star for the station nearest the farm.



See how we get just about all our rain from about the 13th of October, until the second week of Jan?  Then it's rainy until the first of May.  And then nothing.  Just dew.  


Click here to learn more about how the garden was made and the challenges (and successes) of growing in this garden (SPOILERS: it was awesome for our climate)

That was fun, but the big question is, how did woven wattle raised bed walls hold up?  Well, the best way to find out is to take it apart and look.  

And oh look, that's todays video:



I can see using this technique for garden beds again (especially that the price of wood has increase ten fold over the last three years).  This is made with materials not only I have to hand, but that would otherwise be tossed on the burn pile.  Wattle has a lot of use outside the keyhole design.  I'm hoping this spring to use it to solve a different problem.

But that's for another day.

Patiently waiting for spring.  Happy gardening all.  

1 comment:

Josiane said...

So nice to see that this experiment was such a success! Thank you for sharing. That's very inspiring, although I sadly don't have what it takes to make use of that inspiration… I wish I was a gardener, but with every small attempt I made, it was clear that I didn't have the necessary knowledge and skills, and I somehow cannot do what it takes to acquire those. Still, I find it interesting to learn more, bit by bit, notably through what you share about your experiments, and maybe one day I'll be able to make something out of that.