Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Piecing fabric - my upcycling sewing project

Previously published in my crowing hen blog


As part of my sewing journey, I am learning how to make the most out of fabric.  For this project, I used a technique called piecing which combines smaller pieces of cloth to create larger. 


I adore this fabric, but it belonged to a pair of trousers that were way too small.  I also needed a new jacket, so I deconstructed the trousers and combined the fabric with cabbage (cloth left over from sewing projects) to see if I could do it.


I read about this technique on Foundations Revealed which admittedly is the reason why I'm needing to be so frugal with my fabric and clothing budget.  The paywall isn't ... well, ... (since then, I had to cancel my membership.  I found I couldn't make the things I wanted to because all the money was going into this and I just wasn't sure I was getting out of it what I put in)

The pieces of fabric are sewn together, attempting to match the flow of the pattern as there isn't enough fabric to match the pattern seamlessly.  

But you know what, it actually worked.  


I lined it with some roughspun silk fabric from my cabbage stash.  I probably should have done more to finish the edges, but it was an experiment and there were a lot of edges.  I can see this being hand-wash only, wear into town, not mucking out the chickens kind of clothing.  





 

1 comment:

Josiane said...

It looks great! And you did a wonderful job with the fabric placement: even before I saw your comment about trying to match the flow of the motif, I was thinking I really liked how it looked like flowing ribbons.

I do have a pair of way too small pants that I got precisely because I loved the fabric so much. Your jacket gets me wondering what I could turn that fabric into… On the other hand, the pants are still in very good shape and maybe someone else could make use of them as is. Well, I'll see if inspiration strikes, and I can always donate them later if it doesn't!