Saturday, March 26, 2022

New friends from the Cowichan valley - or how much yarn can I spin on a road trip?

Winters here are dark.  Far darker than you think for our latitude, but with the clouds, rain, and oppressive conifers hemming us in on all sides, we can go weeks needing the lights on in the house at noon.  

It's also very hard on the animals.  We have lights in the hen house our they forget to wake up and eat.  It's always a battle to keep everyone healthy - critters and humans alike.

Basically, winters on the farm are dark.  But what makes them bearable is spring and all the new life it brings.

A while back, I put an advert in the local UsedAnywhere seeking bummers.  A bummer is a lamb whose mum is unable to feed it, either because the lamb is an orphan or they have too many siblings competing for limited milk supply or other reasons.  

Well, I got a reply so I'm off on an adventure to meet some lambs.


It's a day trip and a ferry trip from home.  But it's a lot of fun to see what's up in the Cowichan Valley.  Enjoy.  



3 comments:

Leigh said...

Great video! I left my comment over at YouTube. You are doing an excellent job on your video making.

Leigh said...

P.S. The lambs almost make me wish I'd gone with sheep instead of goats, but I confess that I adore my Kinders.

Josiane said...

Thank you for taking us with you on that trip! I haven't gone on that kind of adventure in forever, so that was really nice. Filming for the video surely used up some of that expected spinning time!

The lambs are super cute. I'm sure you've found names for them by now, but two ideas for potential names that came to mind are Jadid and Javād, which are the Persian words for "new" and "young" (the latter also being given as a first name to boys). They seem fitting for young lambs that are new to your farm!