Sunday, September 13, 2015

Cotton silk puni


This is my first attempt at making a cotton & silk puni.


The yarn it made was pretty good, but a bit more slubby than I liked.  With a bit of practice I think I can create much better punis (cotton roll thingies that organize the cotton for easy storage and spinning).

I have some purple silk fluff that I don't really know what to do with.  The staple length is short, only about 1/2 inch long.  So I thought, why not blend it with cotton for a long draw style spinning?

So I bought some cotton from ARaysCreations on etsy.  I bought an entire pound of it, which is a lot when it comes to cotton.  This cotton is unprocessed, it still has seeds in it.  The seeds are a bit fuzzy, so the fibre isn't super-easy to get off, but with a light touch, it come off fast enough.  Certainly faster than picking vegi matter out of wool.  I'll be saving the seeds with the idea that maybe they will grow.

To make the puni, I applied both silk and cotton fibre to the hand cards and followed this tutorial.  It spun up quickly on my charkha wheel.


No comments: