Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Tour de Fleece 2010 - bees and busy

What shall I write about today?

Well, yesterday I got stung by a bee for the first time. It a good thing because now I know I'm not deathly allergic. My toe got all big and red, but nothing serious and it's starting to go down now (24 hours later). So, now I know that I can keep bees.

This winter's task will be to beg, borrow, steal, or make an apiary (bee house) or two. There are lots of things for them to enjoy around here. Yesterday I counted an average of 1 honey bee per square foot on our clover 'lawn' which covers over an acer. That with the fruit trees and vegetables, I think they should have enough to make a bit of honey.



I finally finished the silk tatting thread this morning. All I have to do is block it. Now I can finally focus on spinning Shetland. Well, once I've done some sewing and weaving and chores around the farm.

3 comments:

Josiane said...

I love your perspective on things! It's great that you can see getting stung by a bee as a useful piece of information for you. It's good news that you're not deathly allergic to it. :)

Caro said...

Not to be a party pooper but it is the SECOND time you are stung that you will know for sure. The first time is when the body decides that bees are bad. The next time you get stung it will either kind of ignore the venom or it will totally over react and set off every reaction in the book and cause the swelling and anaphylaxis that is deadly. Just want you to be extra careful the next time and if your throat gets scratchy or anything swells unreasonably get to Emerg asap!

raven said...

That's good to know. Thanks Caro.